All have heard of both leopards as well as cheetahs. Many of us might have also seen either or even both of these majestic animals.
They are particularly known for their speed. What many are confused about is how are the two animals different from each other. We often think that both of these are the same. But in fact, they are not. So, here is a list of differences between leopards and cheetahs to keep you better informed about both these animals.
1. Cheetahs are slenderer and are taller around their shoulder as compared to a leopard. Leopards have a more robust structure.
2. Cheetahs are the fastest mammal known for their speed. They chase and hunt their prey. Leopards, on the other hand, stalk and pounce on their prey. They need to be close to their prey before pouncing on it.
3. Cheetahs have a flat-shaped tail that helps them in steering while running at very high speeds. Leopards have a tubular tail. This helps them to climb up and down trees.
4. The coat of a cheetah has individual spots separated from each other. On the other hand, the leopard’s spots group together in circles that form rosettes. You will easily notice the difference when you look at it carefully.
5. Cheetahs have black tear markings from their inner eyes which is absent in leopards. This is also a fairly point of distinguishing between the two animals.
6. Cheetahs have amber eyes while leopards have green-blue colored eyes.
7. Leopards have retractable claws that they use only when in need. Cheetahs, on the other hand, have non-retractable claws as they use it all the time for rapid acceleration.
8. Cheetahs are found in more open spaces while leopards are present in thicker vegetation. This difference is primarily due to their hunting habits.
9. Cheetahs are primarily diurnal that is, they hunt during the day. Leopards are nocturnal are mostly spotted to move around during the night time.
10. Leopards have killed many humans in the forests while cheetahs are not known to kill a single human.